24 July 2008

Academic Romper Room

This summer is about writing my book in intensive writing boot camp with friends who are similarly situated in their academic careers. Gradually, however, over the last six weeks, we have become lazier and lazier about getting dressed for our work day, which begins around 9 a.m. and ends with an hour of yoga at 4 p.m.. The Dolphin shorts, the workout skort, the yoga pants, the denim overalls, the four-day old t-shirt, have all made appearances among us. (These sartorial tragedies, however, don't keep us from debating the merits of Hayden-Harnett bags or cooing over one of our number's new specially ordered Victor Osborne hat. Though only in between out-loud ruminations about dance theory and whether or not to capitalize "orientalism," of course!) I'm pretty sure that I've rotated between three or four pairs of shorts over this time, but yesterday, at the mall with one of my writing boot camp cohort, I decided that what I really needed was a one-piece romper that would serve me during working hours and through our yoga sessions and the frequent grilling parties that follow -- and I decided that this striped romper from Forever 21 would do the trick. Now I can comfortably curl up in the dining room chair with my legs folded up between me and the table as I type (my denim and corduroy shorts got uncomfortable after a while), and I won't have to tuck my t-shirts into my shorts when I do handstands against the wall. I know it's wrong, but it feels sooo right. I think I could finish my book in this thing.

No comments: